Pages

Tuesday, January 7, 2014

Reflections on 2013

I have formulated about 10 blog posts in my head this last month. None of them made it into this space. I swore I was going to blog during my 16 days away from work. Didn't happen. Life happened instead! (OK, and lots of TV watching.)
 
Laura and Blair and several of my lovely friends completed this year-in-review questionnaire and I love the format, so here goes:

1. What did you do in 2013 that you've never done before?

I sold a house. I rode a scary-ass roller coaster (the Iron Rattler at Six Flags-I've ridden others, but this is the scariest one I've ever ridden). I attended three NBA Finals games (sob). I turned 40. I became a Homeroom Mom for Sophie's Kindergarten class.


I survived the Iron Rattler!


The NBA Finals! (sob)


Homeroom Mom!

2. Did you keep your New Year's resolutions and will you make more for next year?

I'm not big on resolutions. Every year, I try to work on losing some weight and exercising more (yeah, right). This year, I made a list of what I wanted to do to celebrate turning 40 and I accomplished the first three.

3. Did anyone close to you give birth?

No, although I have a coworker who is about to give birth!

4. Did anyone close to you die?

Yes. My dear friend Sue, the leader of a monthly book group I was in for 15 years passed away around New Year's last year from complications of Alzheimer's. I watched her decline over the past five years to the point where our book group meetings were just a get-together each month to see how she was doing since she no longer could read or talk about books really. She still knew me till the end though, most of the time.


That's Sue at left in better days, although she was already starting to decline here. Pat is holding Sophie (7 months). My other friend Michele is not pictured.

5. What countries did you visit?

No international travel in 2013. We are supposed to go to Canada sometime this year, but that may not happen for several other reasons (a surprise Disney trip in April being one).

6. What would you like to have in 2014 that you lacked in 2013?

Patience with my family. The ability to forgive myself when my house isn't perfect (I will never be as good a housekeeper as my mom, nor do I have the time and energy to be-I need to stop beating myself up! I'm good at other things!).

7. What dates in 2013 will be etched on your memory and why?

My 40th birthday. Games 6 and 7 of the NBA Finals (sob). Sophie's first day of elementary school.


My big girl on her first day of school!

8. What was your biggest achievement of the year?

I think buying a house and selling another and getting all bazillion of our possessions moved and surviving J's many expensive attempts to soundproof our house (28 new windows, three new doors, more to come apparently-AAH!) should qualify as my biggest achievement this year. I am never moving again!

9. What was your biggest failure?

Hmm. This is a hard question. Probably yelling at J and Sophie a little too quickly (see "patience" above). I've got to work on that.

10. Did you suffer illness or injury?

I've been having some back problems this last month, triggered by lifting my 65-lb baby one too many times. Sorry kiddo, you have to walk everywhere now. ;)

11. What was the best thing you bought?

Tickets to see Keane. Tickets to the Spurs playoffs (sob). My ticket to Charleston. :) My new laptop (first computer I've ever owned that wasn't a hand-me-down from J-he's kept me in computers since 2003).


My view of Tim Rice-Oxley at the Keane concert-so close!

12. Whose behavior merited celebration?

J, who despite his obsession with soundproofing, is really a fantastic partner and father. I know he's always on my side and we're a great team. Also, Sophie, who is growing up to be quite a kid. She's imaginative and funny and loving and smart. She took to "big-girl school" like a boss. Love her so much.


At South Padre Island on vacation

13. Whose behavior made you appalled and depressed?

The Texas Senate during the Wendy Davis filibuster (basically anyone in that session who was not a Texas Democrat, or named Wendy Davis, Kirk Watson, and Leticia Van De Putte).


 I met Wendy (future Governor Davis) at a rally
in San Antonio a few weeks later.

14. Where did most of your money go?

Mortgage, soundproofing/home renovations, and daycare.

15. What did you get really, really excited about?

The Spurs going to the NBA Finals (sob) and going to meet lovely Internet friends at the Blathering.

16. What song will always remind you of 2013?

"Blurred Lines." I know, I know. But when it was first out last summer, Sophie started singing it in the car because she thought it was about her since she's a "Good Girl!" I should've taped her singing it, because it was very cute-"You're a gooood giiiirll!"

Also, Pitbull's "Don't Stop the Party" because it was the Spurs intro every night at every game (sob).

17. Compared to this time last year are you:

Happier or Sadder - Happier
Thinner or Fatter- A little thinner, not much
Richer or Poorer - A little richer because I paid off my car early and now have a little extra money each month. Although also poorer, considering how much money we've spent on windows and such for our new house. Who knows?

18. What do you wish you'd done more of?

Sleeping. Reading, for sure. Reading took a HUGE hit this year between all the moving and the obsessive HGTV watching in the months before and after our move. Blogging. Ahem, obviously.

19. What do you wish you'd done less of?
Laundry. It's the bane of my existence every weekend.

20. How did you spend Christmas?

We opened gifts with my parents at their house on Christmas Eve. On Christmas morning, we opened our gifts and Santa's gift, then my parents came over for Christmas dinner, which required very little actual cooking from me. Nice and relaxing.

At Nana and Papa's

Sophie on the Kindle and Nana on her phone

21. Did you fall in love in 2013?
I fell in love with my house. It was the first one we liked online and the first one we visited. Nothing else compared.

22. What was your favorite TV program?

Scandal. Elementary. Castle. The Goldbergs. The Good Wife. Game of Thrones. Masterpiece Mystery (Inspector Lewis, Endeavor, I re-watched Sherlock, et al.). NCIS: LA. Bones. ALL OF HGTV.

"Hi, my name is Sonya and I'm addicted to television."

23. Do you hate anyone now that you didn't at this time last year?

No. OK, maybe Ray Allen a little for game 6 of the NBA Finals (sob).

24. What was the best book you read?

Divergent. The Cuckoo's Calling. I really didn't read very much this year. :(

25. What was your greatest musical discovery?

Jay-Z? I went to see him with C and was surprised how much I enjoyed his concert (despite all the language). Also, Ed Sheeran, thanks to @melissaa24. And I've really enjoyed the Capital Cities and Imagine Dragons lately.

26. What did you want and get?

A new house in a neighborhood with a good elementary school for Sophie.

27. What did you want and not get?

A FIFTH SPURS NBA CHAMPIONSHIP (SOB).


There's supposed to be one more here!

28. What was your favorite film this year?

Well, I only saw Monster's University, Catching Fire, and Frozen. Loved them all, so it's a toss up.

29. What did you do on your birthday and how old were you?

I was 40. We hosted a little party with my closest friends and their kids at our house. It was relaxing and fun.

30. What one thing would have made your year more satisfying?

THE SPURS WINNING A FIFTH NBA CHAMPIONSHIP (SOB). Yeah, there's a theme here.

31. How would you describe your personal fashion concept in 2013?

Capris and heels (summer). Jeans and boots (winter). Lots of sparkly jewelry.

32. What kept you sane?

My family, my BFF, and all of my lovely Twitter and Internet friends.

You've got to have best friends to keep you sane.

33. Which celebrity/public figure did you fancy the most?

Lately, it's all Justin Timberlake and Jimmy Fallon.

34. What political issue stirred you the most?

Women's right to choose what happens with their bodies. The actions of the Texas Senate during the filibuster were reprehensible. I've never been stirred to personally attend a political rally before.


Don't mess with Texas women, y'all.

35. Who did you miss?

Sue and my book group friends. She was the glue that held us together. I love those ladies, but we don't get together as much now.

36. Who was the best new person you met?

The lovely @lettergirl and all my fantastic Blathering ladies. You are the best.

Just a few of my favorite Blathering friends! So many more here!

37. Tell us a valuable life lesson from 2013.

If your husband tells you he's going to soundproof your new house because it's in the flight path of San Antonio International Airport, believe him.

38. Quote a song lyric that sums up your year.

"I feel knocked down but I won’t be broken, I won’t be broken 
My spirit’s reeling, but my arms are open, I won’t be broken 
Got a feeling someday you and I- you're gonna blow this town wide open 
Got a hunger snapping at my heels, my mind that can't be changed- the wheel 
That won’t be broken"

-Keane, "Won't Be Broken"

For the Spurs lost championship this year (sob). No worries-they'll be back in the mix in 2014! Go Spurs go! :)

Happy New Year!




3 comments:

  1. Great list! And oh my word, yes to #13! YES! I was watching online and was horrified. Great lyrics btw. And wow, you only saw 3 movies?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, Ari...only seeing three movies in a year is called "having kids". LOL. I watch a lot of TV at home though!! :-)

      Delete
  2. Awwwww I loved reading this! And there is a pic of me! And all of your sobbing about the spurs probably shouldn't make me laugh but it kind of does DON'T HATE ME.

    ReplyDelete